It was bound to happen…
I guess you’ve seen all those fantastic crowd sourcing miniatures thingies on the interwebs. Kickstarter and Indiegogo seems to be filled with them, and I have been oh so tempted by a lot of them.
But, I have persevered! I have been proud of myself. I didn’t really need those figures, most were another period/style etc. I could say to myself that it wasn’t for me.
I browsed Kickstarter and Indiegogo for miniatures, just to see what was out there that I hadn’t seen on other sites or heard of.
Quite a lot of interesting stuff. But suddenly I saw a very familiar logotype.Otherworld - my number one favourite producer of fantasy minis. The recipient of much hard earned cash already. I bought my first Otherworld minis in 2008, amongst them the hill giant seen in my profile-shot.
They are making a massive release of old-school Dungeons & Dragons adventurers. Massive as in 4 sets of 12 figures each, plus extras.
You can pledge as little as $10 giving you one miniature, up to $280 giving you all four sets and a lot of extra nice stuff.
“The miniatures will depict archetypal fantasy adventurers, human and demi-human, male and female, wearing practical clothing and armour and carrying realistic weapons and equipment. They will be posed for exploration, not combat. And these characters won’t be muscle-bound superheroes waving Vorpal Swords in the air - they’ll be grim-faced dungeoneers, a little bit down on their luck, and ready for action on your table-top!”
Yep, just the sort of minis I am looking for.
Notice that these guys wear backpack, just as they should in real fanatsy-life
What’s there:”DAB1 – Dungeon Adventurers I – Human Male Characters (planned release – January 2013)
- Fighter in Plate Mail, with Bastard Sword & Torch
- Cleric in Chainmail, with Mace & Cross
- Magic User in Robes, with Staff & Lantern
- Thief in Leather Armour, with Shortsword & Sack
- Druid in Leather Armour, with Scimitar
- Ranger in Leather Armour, with Bow
- Monk in Robes, with Quarterstaff
- Barbarian in Studded Leather, with Spear & Shield
- Illusionist in Robes, with Scroll
- Assassin in Studded Leather, with Blade Venom
- Paladin in Plate Armour, with Longsword & Shield
- Bard in Chainmail, with Longsword & Lute”
”DAB2 – Dungeon Adventurers II – Demi-human Male Characters (planned release – March 2013)
- Dwarf Fighter in Plate Mail, with Battleaxe
- Dwarf Cleric in Chainmail, with Warhammer & Shield
- Dwarf Thief in Leather Armour, with Shortsword
- Gnome Illusionist/Thief in Leather Armour, with Shortsword & Sack
- Gnome Fighter in Plate Mail, with Polearm
- Half-orc Fighter/Cleric in Banded Mail, Warhammer & Shield
- Half-orc Assassin in Studded Leather, with Heavy Crossbow
- Half-elf Fighter/Thief in Leather Armour, with Shortbow
- Halfling Fighter in Plate Armour, with Axe & Shield
- Halfling Thief in Leather Armour, with Shortsword & Sling
- Elf Fighter/Magic User in Chainmail, with Longsword & Wand
- Elf Thief in Leather Armour, with Shortsword & Rope”
- Human Fighter in Plate Mail, with Longsword & Shield
- Human Cleric in Chainmail, with Flail & Holy Symbol
- Human Thief in Leather Armour, with Rope & Grappling Hook
- Human Magic User in Robes, with Dagger & Torch
- Dwarf Fighter in Plate Mail, with Warhammer
- Gnome Fighter in Chainmail, with Light Crossbow
- Half-elf Ranger in Leather Armour, with Shortsword & Dagger
- Human Druid in Leather Armour, with Spear & Torch
- Elf Magic User in Robes, with Dagger & Scroll
- Half-orc Assassin in Studded Leather, with Longsword & Hand-axe
- Paladin in Plate Armour, with Longsword & Shield
- Monk in Robes, with Quarterstaff & Lantern”
”DAB4 – Dungeon Adventurers IV – Hirelings & Henchmen (planned release – June 2013)
- Mercenary Swordsman
- Mercenary Crossbowman
- Mercenary Spearman
- Pack Bearer I
- Pack Bearer II
- Lantern Bearer
- Torch Bearer
- Mule Handler
- Expedition Mule
- Expedition Equipment”
On top of that a lot of extra goodies as stretch goals are reached.
I’m sooooo sold on this.
At the level that tempts me the most, the highest level at $280, you’ll get all 4 12-figure boxed sets DAB1 - Human Male Characters, DAB2 - Demi-human Male Characters, DAB3 - Female Characters, DAB4 - Hirelings and Henchmen. 3 bonus figures, only available as part of this Indiegogo campaign, a Henchman Pack-bearer, a Lantern-bearer, a Mule-handler + with achieved stretch goals: 'Weapons & Equipment Pack', 'Treasure Items Pack', 'Adventurers' Campsite' featuring bed-rolls, a campfire & cooking pots, and other paraphernalia, 'Adventurers' Cart Set', pulled by an expedition mule and piled with adventuring gear, looted treasure, and a fallen comrade, a pair of War/Guard Dogs – 1 sitting, 1 standing, wearing studded leather collars & harness, 'Adventurers’ Stores' – crates, boxes, chests, sacks, barrels, pack of Magic Users’ Familiars (standard) – cat, crow, hawk, owl, toad, weasel and possibly more if a couple of more stretch goals are achieved.
Can you say no?
The question is, should I invest in this? It’s a lot of money, but minis I really would like to have/paint/use.