Monday 14 November 2016

Spiders from Otherworld and a small dragon from Reaper

These spiders come from Otherworld Miniatures and are a rather failed experiment.
My idea was to paint them black and then let the abdomen have a hazy red shimmer on it. So I gave the black abdomen a coat of gloss varnish and then a red glaze and repeated that several times and topped with a satin varnish. The result was… somewhat disappointing.
I think the idea of varnishes sandwiching translucent layers of paint could give really interesting effects, but this was not it. I’ll have to do more experimenting and probably with an undercoat of something not so dark.
I let my daughter rummage through the case of unpainted monsters the other day to pick something she would like to have finished and she dived in, full of enthusiasm. She had a hard time deciding as the case is rather large... 
What she finally picked was this young dragon from the Reaper Bones range. We checked the D&D Monster Manual and decided it was a black dragon. I just did a very fast job on it, mainly because I think black is such a difficult color (I know it is technically not a color) to work with. Well, I have to practice more, I guess.
Anyway, we both thought it was great fun for her to find a figure and me to paint it up and we will continue doing this regularly, one monster and one character. For me it is an opportunity to paint stuff that wouldn’t be in the front of the painting queue. Next monster will be a Cthulhu-thingie that is really weird and the character will be a female druid that will be Johanna’s next D&D character.
Stay tuned for that.

16 comments:

  1. Um... it does look like the dragon is raising it's leg to... "mark his territory".

    As for paints within layers of varnish, try mixing the paint with the varnish instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a rather dynamic running pose.. .I don't think he/she will have time to mark anything...
      Mixing paint and varnish is not really what I'm after and it is to easy :-). With several thin layers it should be possible to get a shimmering effect.

      Delete
  2. The dragon looks pretty good to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is more useful than if it is unpainted in a case :-)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Well, they are from Otherworld, and most stuff from them are really very nice.

      Delete
  4. I am not that fond of spiders but the other miniatures are great.Nice that your daughter is getting ispiration to start painting.I will soon start painting with my little mini(daughter) and I am thrilled to see if there is any interest!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Picking monster, letting daddy paint is mostly me painting, but what is fun is that she has started painting herself and the first figure all painted by her turned out really well.
      A very proud daddy. I might start pestering you with pics of what the offspring paints, it your not careful :-)

      Delete
    2. Trevligt.Om allt går väl så får jag ytterligare en målerska till imorgon. :) The paintjob of children is the best and very inspirational. Keep posting.

      Delete
    3. Oj! Gratulerar i förskott. Jag håller tummar och tår och får en liten tår i ögat :-)
      There just might be a post of two of my daughters work.

      Delete
  5. Great looking spiders but this dragon is sooooooooooooooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-D
      There are three more tiny dragons to be painted. Stay tuned.

      Delete