Tuesday 1 January 2019

2018 in the rearview mirror

A game of Dux Britanniarum in full swing. We use Lord of Rings figures and the heroic Free Men are getting squashed (mainly on my flank) in this Xmas-game with Laffe, Thomas and Koen.

Another year gone and even more minis painted.
I had a goal that the tin- and plastics-mountain would actually be smaller at the end of the year, so let’s see how that turned out (for an explanation on the idea and how I count see here)
A shoot-out with  the Fistful of Lead-rules at the Club.
The year in summary:
Bought
Well, my fingers sort of slipped on a couple of Kickstarters this year; Uboot (8 minis, as 1/72 figures counts as ½ a mini), Cthulhu – Death must Die (84 minis) and Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon (38). Minis from these do count, as I count models when they are actually bought. On top of that a box of 40 farmyard animals, a couple of tanks in different scales, a few airplanes, 44 Vikings and a handful of other minis.
234 models bought, far more than expected.
Being swamped at Zombicide: Black Death

Sold
I have really excavated the tin- and plastics-mountain this year. Stuff I know won’t be painted have been sold off or put in the For Sale-box at the club. With another hundred hitting the sales-box in December I’ve reached 285 minis.

Painted

All of the Mesozoic critters.
It’s been a modest year of painting, as I have just finished 139 minis. You’ve seen most of them here already. The year ended with the final dinosaurs from Tamiya’s excellent Mesozoic Creatures boxes (I got two) and a couple of random 28mm figures.
Finished in December: A Prospector from Brimstone and The Major from SMOG: Rise of Moloch (and I painted another 5 zombies for SMOG also, but no pics of those)
Terrain-wise it has been much better, with lots of different terrain finished, much of it 3D-printed.
A game of D&D in the printed dungeons.
So my goal was reached! I actually sold more minis than I bought and with the models painted I reached -190 models. Not bad at all.

3D-printer
I finally bought a new 3D-printer this fall, a Prusa i3 Mk3. It’s been printing mainly dungeon-pieces for my Dungeons & Dragons campaign, but also some scatter terrain and a couple of houses. You’ll see more on the dungeon soon.

One of the demo-games of What A Tanker we staged at Smashcon.
Well, I think that neatly sums up 2018. A good year in many respects, even though it was rather weak on painted minis.

So, what about 2019?
I will try to shrink the tin- and plastics-mountain even more, that’s for sure. Otherwise, I don’t know. We’ll see what happens.

I wish you all a very good 2019. Hope to see you all in this and other blogs, and maybe meet some of you in the flesh.

6 comments:

  1. Well done on shrinking the mountain but the thing with mountains is they always regrow ;)
    All the best for 2019 Joakim :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, Frank!
      I'm counting on erosion ;-)

      Delete
    2. The problem with erosion is it takes millions of years.
      All the best for the new year and good luck with erosion. ;)

      Delete
    3. probably the fastest way to do away with that mountain anyway... :-)

      Delete
  2. A busy 2018 but also a fun year it seems.Very inspirational pictures.Have a nice week in the north. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a good year, even though the amount of painted figures could have been better. Lots of good games, though.
      Hope life is good in the warm south ;-)

      Delete