Tuesday 26 May 2015

Colonial Steam River Launch by Sarissa

Another boat/ship for my Pulp Alley Indonesian harbour project. I really liked the look of it and I guess it can be used in a multitude of settings.
I started to build it straight out of the box, or rather flat package.
But the funnel didn’t do it for me, so I made a new one from a drinking straw.
While I was at it, I replaced the steam piston assembly. Another piece of drinking straw and brass wire.
Now the boiler looked like crap compared to the rest. 
0.5 mm plasticard, more wire and green stuff and it started to look rather good.
While I was green-stuffing I made a cleat on the fore-deck.
And a piece of plastic rod made the roof look better.
Painted as all my boats – Vallejo Cork Brown, wash of Army Painter Strong Tone ink and drybrushed with Buff.
As I final thought I added some ‘rope’ from another ship (nearly finished now, you’ll see it in a couple of days’ time) and painted it with Humbrol Hemp.
Welcome new Followers:
Éva Jacab
Pendragon Without with a blog with the same name. It’s about miniature games in general and very enjoyable. Go visit!

Oh, and if you would like to have my views on Osprey’s new book The Caucasus 1942-43: Kleist’s race for oil, Campaign 281, then you had better open your latest issue of Miniature Wargames (issue 386). You’ll find all you need to know about the book in the Reviews section.

17 comments:

  1. What a splendid vessel! And your improvements just make it better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      It is indeed a splendid little boat. Absolutely worth getting.

      Delete
  2. That is excellent work, your upgrades have made all the difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Evan.
      I'm really satisfied with the end result

      Delete
    2. And welcome to the Blog Evan!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Joakim! You've got lots of cool stuff going here, I'll definitely be having a look around!

      Delete
  3. You've really made this boat so much more attractive by your detail additions. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great innovations, plus a lovely colour scheme!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks brilliant...and your improvements are inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This boat and your sampan are both very nice. I look forward to seeing your league in action on the Manhunt.
    It would be nice if the boats could be put in a more active role in some future scenario.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we have a harbour it is sure to see much action as it is such a great pulpy setting.
      There are more ships in the pipe-line and I'm sure they will play a central role in the harbour. Some may even move around during the scenarios

      Delete
  7. Fantastic work! I am just putting this together and came across your blog when looking for ideas, wonderfully inspirational - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michael.
      Welcome to the blog, hope you find much of interest here.

      Delete