Monday 11 August 2014

The Medieval Week – Sunday August 3rd

Every early August, in week 32, the Medieval Week is celebrated in Visby, on the Island of Gotland. It started in 1984, the year I did my military service on that Island… I’ve stayed away from the island since then. Anyway, it was time to re-acquaint myself and the family with Visby.
We left home very early on Sunday 3rd, in a fierce thunderstorm, to travel with car to Nynäshamn and the ferry. Due to the downpour we had to more or less crawl half the way, and we cleared check-in less than five minutes before it closed – wife and I had to run from the parking lot to have a chance…
3,5 hours cruise, and we arrived in a very hot Visby, it was around 300C. A short walk to our hotel (air-conditioned – hooray!) and after that into medieval times!
The thing with this week is that a lot of the participants dress up in their best medieval dresses. A lot means more than 50% of the attendees. It’s like a gigantic live role-playing game.
We came just in time for the Inaugural Parade.
My wife, dressed in style
The parade ended in the Medieval Marketplace, the heart of the week. You eat, drink, try out things, enjoy whatever is on stage, buy stuff and just look at folks.
The old and the new mayors of the week, on their way to open the week
Regardless of age you can be a kid
A merry-go-round Medieval style.
My daughter ‘jousting’
 My oldest son, Martin, where he should be. He didn’t look so happy when we brought the rotten tomatoes…
The day ended with the Inaugural Party by the sea, outside the walled town.
It ended with flaming arrows shot out to sea…
…and a burning something ended our day

This was an insanely fun first day. More to come!

12 comments:

  1. Haven't been there for 15 years or so... have to go next year I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I know Scandinavian ladies were on the tall side, but...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a very cool day. Looking forward to seeing more photos off the rest of the event :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very hot day, but cool...
      More photos coming in the coming days, I have more than 500 to chose from, so it does take some time

      Delete
  4. Very cool, I love the second to last photo of the flaming arrows :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a bit ashamed of the fact that I live within walking distance of the ferry to Gotland, but I've only been there once and never during Medeltidsveckan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Lardies tour could change that...

      Delete
    2. I will push for the family vacation being Gotland next year -- because I want to go anyway, but a lard meet-up would be nice as well.

      However I also need to sort out a trip to Rome with the missus first, since I have promised her one. Let's hope the kids doesn't want to go to Disneyland or something that costs an arm and a leg.

      Delete
    3. We have the beginnings of a plan...

      Delete