Friday 3 June 2016

Dungeon Terrain from Direbadger

Dungeon from Direbadger in action
I’ve long been on the lookout for the perfect dungeon terrain for my Dungeons & Dragons games. 
I’ve tried:
World Works Games – printable paper scenery. I’ve got a couple of sets and while they do look good you need to print them out and assemble them. Never really used them in more than an odd game.
Terraclips – Cardstock terrain made by WWG above, and they look good but you can’t really build a dungeon after a map and the clips looks awful.
Battle Systems – great cardstock dungeon, perfect for Open Combat or other skirmish games set in a dungeon, and I’ve used it for that. But impossible to build a dungeon after a map.
All terrain is pre-painted.
In the autumn of 2014 there was a Kickstarter by a new company called DireBadger and they offered a MDF dungeon system that had everything I wanted.
Very user friendly and versatile system.
Illustration © DireBadger and used with permission.
It comprises baseplates, wall-sections and inconspicuous pillars. Everything slots together easily and fast, and now I can build a dungeon true to scenario maps. 
There is no problem assembling the dungeon during gameplay when the adventuring party reaches a new room or corridor, and due to the versatility I can make whatever forms I want as the wall-sections come sizes between one and four inches. No problem if I need longer sections as that is easily done with a supporting pillar in between.
I’ve used this during the last year and I’m very pleased with the durability and flexibility. This is really good stuff and highly recommended. Well worth an investment if you’re into dungeon delving.
You can buy your own dungeon, or a MDF village, through their website
I'll invest in a couple of the new diagonal walls soon.

11 comments:

  1. Looks good!

    My main beef with these kinds of setups are the costs involved. Did this setup cost an arm and a leg, or just the arm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who needs a left arm, anyway? :-)
      I see it as a cost vs time used issue, and as such I think the ratio is already decent and it's getting better all the time. I have made purchases that's been rarely used and even if they might have been cheaper the ratio is far, far worse.
      So, I'm very happy with this purchase. Well worth the money spent, and I guess I'll spend some more, too.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It not only looks good, it IS good also :-)

      Delete
  3. That is a very good system I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very happy with it and use it in our D&D campaign, very popular with both me and the players

      Delete