Monday 8 October 2018

Prusa 3D-printer – up and running!


Monday last week I got a really big box.
Oh, a black box. You usually don't know what's inside one of those, just what goes in and what goes out. This time I knew.
In it was the long awaited 3D-printer, a Prusa i3 MK3.
Yay!
I got it up and running immediately, as I had ordered an assembled printer. Well, mostly running actually, as there are always some glitches in the beginning.
For me it was initially one of the fans that didn’t work, resulting in failed prints. When I figured out what was actually the problem with the prints I blew through the fan with compressed air, and that seem to have removed whatever was in there. One less problem.
Up and running the first print
After that one of the prints, a wall-section of my Printable Scenery Rampage Open Lock stuff I build dungeons off, got loose during a print. That turned out to be really messy as the printer gladly continued to print into thin air, resulting in a bundle of thin filament. A large bundle.
First object to print was this statue, the same I used to play around with on my old printer to get the settings right.
That was fixed with added brims, to those prints with small foot-prints, in the PrusaControl software I use to produce print-files from the STL-files.
All this while I was fiddling with layer-heights and infill to get a feeling of how it all affected the end-result.
A mystery print for a friend. Can you figure out what it is, Koen?
So now I’m printing away, happily. Everything seem to work as it should.
Next mystery print coming from a kickstarter that will go live on tuesday. Expect a review.
I’m printing a lot of modular dungeon at the moment, to be used in next weekends’ D&D game, and also review-stuff from two kickstarters. More on that soon.

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. :-)
      Enough with all that begging now, please ;-D

      Delete
  2. Nice. When do you get the second one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I figure out how to print the electronics... ;-)

      This one seem to be able to print more than I will manage to paint! I must have time to paint my figures also...

      Delete
  3. I can only dream of owning one of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are quite a lot of cheaper ones out there, especially if you decide to assemble it yourself.

      Delete
  4. That printer looks fantastic Joakim, and will certainly get a lot of use!
    So did your other one breakdown completely then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's working round the clock at the moment.
      The other one is dead. There are simply too many things that doesn't work well with it, that it isn't worth the effort to try to fix. Also, when I compare the results from that one to what the Prusa produces, there is just a mile between them when it comes to print-quality.
      The M3D is dead and heading for the recycling center...

      Delete
  5. Looking good! I keep trying to convince the wife that we need to buy one, but so far she is pretty resistant...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha! Yes, that probably is a problem :-)
      But off course she wants some, she just doesn't know it yet! Go to Thingiverse and check out all the cool stuff they have, show some to the wife and you might get lucky.

      Delete
  6. Awesome. I planning to purchase a Prusa printer in the near future. Surprise the M3D is dead already. Your initial view of the Prusa seems to be very positive... Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very happy with the Prusa so far. There have been some glitches, as there always is, but it is mostly me forgetting to change a setting in the slicer or something like that. It works well.
      The M3D was a disappiontment. Was on service once and they fixed some things but not everything. Not happy about that one.

      Delete